Welcome to the STEM Education Center.
Our motto is "WRITE IT SO THEY CAN READ IT".
Dr. David E. Wojick
Research and Professional Experience:
Co-founded and managed small consulting firm with Diane Adams. Federal clients have ranged from the Chief of Naval Research to the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs in OMB and the Office of Scientific and Technological Information in DOE.
We have specialized in pioneering and implementing new methods of concept analysis. With the advent of the World Wide Web, this work has focused on web-based search, communication research and document design.
Major projects include the following:
a. Use of word search to identify hidden clusters and transition paths in Navy research (Office of Naval Research).
b. Use of word search to identify hidden information collection burdens in federal regulations (Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, OMB).
c. Development of coherence analysis diagnostic system of 126 kinds of confusion in technical texts (Department of Commerce).
d. Development of a new method to measure allocation of content to scientific topics in web pages (Office of Scientific and Technological Information, DOE).
e. Use of issue trees and coherence analysis to redesign major federal regulations (Environmental Protection Agency).
f. Use of issue tree templates to redesign 0.5 million pages of engineering design standards (PPG Industries).
g. Development of a new method to measure grade level of science education Web content (Office of Scientific and Technological Information, DOE).
2. 1976 - 1970, Faculty, Carnegie Mellon University.
Helped found Departments of (a) Philosophy and (b) Engineering and Public Policy. Research focused on cognitive models of complex concepts, especially in science and technology. Developed the issue tree method for diagramming complex issues and concept systems in technical texts. Developed and taught new courses in Philosophy of Technology (technological revolutions) as well as Engineering and Public Policy.
3. 1970 - 1965, Civil Engineer, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
1. "Population Modeling of the Emergence and Development of Scientific Fields," Report for the Office of Scientific and Technical Information; Luis M. A. Bettencourt, Carlos Castillo-Chavez, David Kaiser, David E. Wojick; October, 2006.
2. "The Digital Road to Scientific Knowledge Diffusion: A Faster, Better Way to Scientific Progress," David E. Wojick, Walter L. Warnick, Bonnie C. Carroll, June Crowe; D-Lib Magazine, June 2006.
3. "The Structure of Technological Revolutions," David Wojick; History and Philosophy of Technology, Buggliarello and Donner, Eds., Chapter 14, University of Illinois Press, 1979.
4. "Concept Change in Science and Philosophy," Doctoral dissertation, University of Pittsburgh, 1972.
Sponsored research: Discovery tools for science education content. DOE SBIR
|Please feel free to peruse David's OSTIblog Articles. If you have any questions or would like further discussion on a particular topic you may contact David at email@example.com.|
|This site is under construction. Thank you for your patience.|